This is an attempt to collect all the EA-related material on the web. No quality control; basically anything that even mentions effective altruism goes here or one of the sub-pages. Giles Edkins initiated this list and anyone is encouraged to help maintain it.
Particular thanks go to the individuals who created and compiled the resources below, and to Aaron Gertler for providing a substantial starting list of links.
- 1 Introduction to Effective Altruism
- 2 Cause areas
- 2.1 Poverty
- 2.2 Cause Prioritization
- 2.3 Animal Welfare
- 2.4 Environmentalism
- 2.5 Artificial Intelligence
- 2.6 Non-AI existential risks
- 2.7 Politics and policies
- 2.8 Rationality
- 2.9 Meta
- 2.10 Other cause areas
- 3 Careers
- 4 Criticisms and reactions to EA
- 5 Other resources
Introduction to Effective Altruism
This section is for "EA 101" material to inspire others to join and provide beginners a place to start exploring this movement.
EA General Reading Lists
- The Effective Altruism Handbook - The “Effective Altruist Handbook”, a collection of material that is as long as a short book. Covers all major points of EA in reasonable depth and includes some of the material from the Ben Kuhn link (plus much more material)
- Ben Kuhn's Reading List - Probably the best-curated set of intro links out there, with nice long descriptions of the good essays.
Articles and other media
- Spreadsheet of EA media references - Spreadsheet of links to media articles on EA (Washington Post, HuffPo, Vox, Vice, etc.)
- The Greatest Good - Article by an Atlantic editor who found EA in a very organic way and wound up donating for heartfelt personal reasons. Everyone I know who’s read it has loved it, EA or otherwise. Share with people who like emotions and/or journalism.
EA community and allies
These links do not go directly to the organizations' websites, but rather to a wiki page listing their content.
- Ben Kuhn
- Giving Gladly (Julia Wise)
- Jeff Kaufman's blog
- Practically Ethics
- Ryan Carey
- Slate Star Codex (Scott Alexander)
- The GiveWell blog
- The Unit of Caring
- Various EA blogs
- Wave (may not identify as EA)
- Effectiveness reports (from organizations that may not identify as EA)
This section is for collecting any resources that specifically address cause areas EAs tend to congregate around the most, in particular highlighting general introductions to each cause area and ongoing areas of debate within each.
- Is Giving Money Directly to the Poor a Good Idea? - Awesome video on GiveDirectly, and the surprising (yet effective) ways poor people spend free money.
- The Kojo Story - Interactive online “story” about a child who dies from malaria. Takes you through his life and tries to make the impact personal. Could be a very good way to explain EA (or at least one small aspect of it) to someone who doesn’t get very emotionally-invested in numbers.
- Reflections on a site visit in Myanmar (Burma) - Pros and cons of on-site visits to places where charity is happening, the complexities of anti-malaria campaigns
- No, Depressed American Towns Do Not Look Like Zimbabwe - Quick, readable essay on how different American poverty is from global poverty
Examples of ineffective altruism
- Stop Trying to Save the World - Fantastic introduction to lots of failed interventions (and asks good questions even about some rather good interventions)
- 5 Popular Forms of Charity (That Aren't Helping) - Very snappy, very solid Cracked article. Share with your friends!
- Saving administrative costs or saving lives - On the unimportance of overhead (compared to certain other metrics)
List of fundraising organizations
- All Animals are Equal - Great short paper by Peter Singer arguing why speciesism is important to avoid.
- Treatment of animals in industrial agriculture - GiveWell's shallow overview of the problem of animal industrial agriculture.
- The Importance of Wild Animal Suffering - Brian Tomasik's excellent, in depth article on why you should consider wild animal suffering.
- Anthropogenic Climate Change - GiveWell's shallow overview of the problem of anthropogenic climate change.
- A reply to Wait But Why on machine superintelligence - What AI researchers actually believe, and why funding AI risk research is at least as important as funding global warming research
Non-AI existential risks
- Global Priorities Project - Well-organized attempt to sort out which long-term problems are most urgent to address
Politics and policies
- Policy Oriented Philanthropy - Collection of GiveWell's research on different types of policy oriented philanthropy.
Policy change organizations
- LessWrong's sequences - A list of sequences of blog posts on topics of rationality written by Eliezer Yudkowsky on the forum LessWRong.
- Why We Need More Meta - An article by Ben Todd on reasons why the EA movement should allocate more resources to "meta" activities.
- EA risks falling into a "meta trap". But we can avoid it. - Article by Peter Hurford warning against extending the "meta-charity" idea too far.
Organizations focused on funding
- Center for Global Development (may not identify as EA)
- Effective Altruism Ventures | Request for Projects
- Future of Life Institute
- Global Innovation Fund (may not identify as EA)
- Good Ventures
- Unorthodox Philanthropy (may not identify as EA)
Resources on running an EA organization
- Centre for Effective Altruism
- Effective Altruism Hub
- Instituto Etica, Racionalidade, e Futuro da Humanidade
- Local Groups
- THINK (The High Impact NetworK)
Other cause areas
This section is for compiling resources helping EAs decide upon career paths to pursue and how best to pursue them. This is not meant to duplicate the existing efforts of organizations like 80,000 Hours to provide such services, but will attempt to point to relevant 80k articles where they exist and other relevant articles from the wider EA media space.
Skill building and self improvement
Earning to give
Computer science / programming
List of research organizations
- AI Impacts
- Animal Charity Evaluators
- Centre for the Study of Existential Risk
- Future of Humanity Institute
- GBS Schweiz
- Leverage Research (doesn't seem to have any information right now)
- Machine Intelligence Research Institute
- Open Philanthropy Project
Criticisms and reactions to EA
This section will compile existing critiques of Effective Altruism as a movement.
Reactions to EA
Insider critiques of EA
By self identified EAs.
Outsider critiques of EA
By non-self identified EAs.
- Online courses
- Introductory material
- Library/Graphic resources (posters, leaflets, infographics, etc.)
- Tools and services
EA hub lists
These are copies of the lists at Effective Altruism Hub , created to open those lists up. The EA Hub list will draw on these wiki versions, but be more selective.
- Blog posts of note
- Media coverage of effective altruism
- Links to EA resources
- Yale Effective Altruists' Links (compiled by Aaron Gertler)
- Succinct material compilation by EA UNSW