- 1 List of groups
- 1.1 Broad groups
- 1.2 The main ‘Effective Altruists’ Facebook group
- 1.3 The broad EA subreddit
- 1.4 Groups by topic
- 1.5 Highly specific purpose-based groups
- 1.6 Groups for specific sets of people
- 1.7 General groups
- 1.9 Private but non-confidential groups
- 2 Instructions on how to use groups
- 3 Suggested principles for what to post where
List of groups
The main ‘Effective Altruists’ Facebook group
Very active, with frequent posts and well over 5,000 members. For the full article on this, see Effective Altruists Facebook group .
The Effective Altruism Forum
To use the analogy of LessWrong, LessWrong Main to the Facebook group’s LessWrong Discussion.
The broad EA subreddit
Minimal commenting activity, but many links. Covers all EA, despite the name.
Groups by topic
The far future (including existential risk)
Highly specific purpose-based groups
The purpose of these highly specific groups is to allow discussion not appropriate on the Facebook EA group.
Run by: .impact
EA LinkedIn, for professional networking
80k entrepreneurs group
Focused on depression, etc.
Discussing new EA projects
Effective Altruist HabitRPG
Groups for specific sets of people
Effective Altruism Summit Attendees
Local EA chapters
Effective Altruism Newcomers (dormant)
General discussion group
Created in May 2014 as an experiment. Not used yet, but feel free to use them for whatever purpose you think valuable. It’d almost always make sense to also put posts sent to these up on the Facebook EA group, but cross-posting to them ensures that most people on their lists will see your post (via email notification).
Private but non-confidential groups
EA Prediction markets
Instructions on how to use groups
To alter the nature and frequency of emails you get from a Google group, visit it using the links above, click on ‘My settings’ (the image of a person with a cog at the top right) and select ‘Membership and email settings’
Frequently asked questions
It's worth consulting the FAQ which links to prior discussions of topics. It's best to comment on this old discussion - unlike in some non-EA groups, resurrecting old threads is fine, and preferred to covering the same ground in new ones. This applies especially on the main EA Facebook group, which has high volume. Most other groups have lower volume, so don't be put off posting there by concerns about making the number of new posts too high.
Suggested principles for what to post where
Tom Ash and Peter Hurford came up with the following suggested principles for where to post stuff:
* Effective Altruism Forum -- http://www.effective-altruism.com -- polished posts of good relevance to the EA community
* The EA Facebook group -- https://www.facebook.com/groups/effective.altruists/ -- links and shorter questions or observations, which can get discussed by a broad range of people. If the Forum is analogous to LessWrong Main, the FB group is analogous to LessWrong Discussion.
* The EA wiki -- effective-altruism.wikia.com -- collaborative articles and pieces which are descriptive rather than containing your personal perspective
* .impact wiki -- http://impact.hackpad.com -- Meeting notes and project updates for .impact
* Impact Research -- http://impactresearch.hackpad.com -- unpolished or not very relevant posts